Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

1st time 223 issues

I am having issues with the seating it appears. I did 50 rounds and over 20 came out over seated like in the picture. And the ones that weren't came out what i thought was good (couldn't push the bullet into the cause) but i tried to cycle in my gun and the bullets got pushed into the neck just like the pictures. I have never had this problem before with my other calibers. Any help is appreciated. Still new so please be kind

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Couple issues I see here. The bullets that just fall in, means your case mouths are flaired too much. To combat that, you need to crimp the rounds. Same with the ones that get pushed in when you rack a round. You need to crimp all casings. They are flaired too much to hold well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    There’s a few things that could cause that.

1. Check to make sure you sizing die is sizing the neck of the case. If it doesn’t size the neck you won’t have any neck tension to hold the bullet in place. The .223 case should have enough tension to hold the bullet in place without a crimp.

2. The pull through button on the sizing die could be the wrong size. It size the neck down but you pull the button through and it sizes the case neck up in diameter. I used to modify the diameter of buttons to test the affects of neck tension on P/V in lab settings, but if this is a new die set check the diameter of the button, should be a few thou below bullet diameter.

3. Excessive lube in the neck. That would drastically lower neck tension and cause the bullet to set back in the case.

4. The cases weren’t sized at all. We all make mistakes, that could be one of them.

5. The feed ramps on the Mag aren’t allowing the cartridge to shift up and as a result it shoved the cartridge right into the ramp, instead of up the ramp.

AR’s can be pretty violent on loaded rounds. It’s normal to see the COAL shift a few thou on chambering/extraction. Especially on repeated chambering and extraction as the act of chambering acts like an inertial hammer.

Apply a crimp, even if it is slight will help to prevent that, however what you have is far beyond what a crimp should be preventing.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member

1st time 223 issues

Are you positive you resized the necks?

Edit: I see Jay was posting the same info.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I ran them through a universal deprimer, not a sizing die. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I will have to pull them all apart now. Thank you everyone.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    There’s a few things that could cause that.

1. Check to make sure you sizing die is sizing the neck of the case. If it doesn’t size the neck you won’t have any neck tension to hold the bullet in place. The .223 case should have enough tension to hold the bullet in place without a crimp.

2. The pull through button on the sizing die could be the wrong size. It size the neck down but you pull the button through and it sizes the case neck up in diameter. I used to modify the diameter of buttons to test the affects of neck tension on P/V in lab settings, but if this is a new die set check the diameter of the button, should be a few thou below bullet diameter.

3. Excessive lube in the neck. That would drastically lower neck tension and cause the bullet to set back in the case.

4. The cases weren’t sized at all. We all make mistakes, that could be one of them.

5. The feed ramps on the Mag aren’t allowing the cartridge to shift up and as a result it shoved the cartridge right into the ramp, instead of up the ramp.

AR’s can be pretty violent on loaded rounds. It’s normal to see the COAL shift a few thou on chambering/extraction. Especially on repeated chambering and extraction as the act of chambering acts like an inertial hammer.

Apply a crimp, even if it is slight will help to prevent that, however what you have is far beyond what a crimp should be preventing.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.
    I appreciate the info on the AR, its a whole new platform for me

Title
    What type dies are you using?

I found the data included with my Redding dies to be very informative for setting up my press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon.trenton View Post
    I ran them through a universal deprimer, not a sizing die. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I will have to pull them all apart now. Thank you everyone.

There ya go! Missed a step is all. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk